Shakshuka is dish with poached eggs as main ingredient cooked in tomato sauce with vegetables & is very widely used in Middle East & whole Mediterranean region, normally cooked in an iron skillet or tagine. It was most likely originated from Tunisia.
As its primarily egg based so is known more as a breakfast or brunch recipe but is also used as dinner recipe. It’s a very colorful awesome recipe, usually made in a skillet.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 35 mins 55 mins 2-3 Serving
Eggs – 4
Onion – medium 1
Garlic – 3-4 cloves very finely chopped or minced
Baby spinach – 2 cups
Fresh green coriander – 1 cup finely chopped
Feta cheese crumbled – ¼ cup
Cottage cheese (Paneer) – ½ cup diced
Salt per taste
Ground black pepper – sprinkled on top
Ground cumin – ½ tablespoon
Red pepper flakes and powder – 1-2 pinch
Dried oregano – ¼ tablespoon
Dried basil – ¼ tablespoon
Dried parsley – ¼ tablespoon
Tomato sauce – 1 ¼ cup
Bacon rashers – 5-6 fried & crumbled or very finely chopped (optional)
Potatoes – 2 – boiled and diced & fried separately (optional)
Water – 3 cups
- Cut the bacon rashes into thin strips & n a medium skillet pour olive oil just enough to coat it and fry the bacon rashes, make them crispy. Add chopped onion & minced or finely chopped garlic; fry for 5-7 mins till onions start to look translucent.
- Add tomato sauce along with all dried & grounded spices and continuously keep simmering till sauce is thickened. Lower the heat to minimum.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F
- Heat water in a saucepan and add baby spinach with pinch of salt. Take out as soon as it starts to wilt and shock it in cold water. Drain & squeeze with hands and keep aside.
- Once the tomato sauce has thickened in the pan, spread the boiled spinach in shape of 4 small circles. Break each egg into the center of each circle.
- Put the skillet in oven now or continue on the burner. When the eggs begin to set, add crumbled feta and cottage cheese cubes, fresh chopped coriander and fried potatoes (optional).
- Take off heat and place in oven for another 5-6 mins.
Note : you can serve eggs with runny yolks or bake them longer for well done as per your choice. You can serve it with toasted & buttered pita or whole wheat bread slices. Enjoy, Bon apatite!!!
photo courtesy http://www.pantrydiva.me