Mughlai and Paneer dishes are always a hot favorite especially in North India as part of Punjabi cuisine. Paneer is also now well known as part of Indian cuisine worldwide.
Paneer or cottage cheese is a rich source of protein & is rich in calcium too. It is excellent for vegetarians to have it in their diet as they miss out on their intake of meat products. Here is a recipe which is made with fresh cottage cheese (paneer) cooked in tomato and cashewnuts gravy along with various spices.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 25 mins 45 mins 1-2 Servings
Paneer – 250 gms
Butter – 2 spoons
Olive oil – 4 spoons
Salt per taste
Chili powder – ½ tablespoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ tablespoon
Coriander powder – ½ tablespoon
Garam masala (mixed spices) – ½ tablespoon
Ground black pepper – ¼ tablespoon
Onion – 2 medium – chopped
Garlic cloves – 3-4 chopped
Ginger – 1 tablespoon chopped
Tomatoes – 250 gms
Green coriander – ½ cup
Green chilli – 1 chopped without seeds
Cashew nuts – 8-10
Raisin – 8-10
Saffron – 8-10 strands
Dried whole red chili – 1
Fresh cream – ¼ cup
Milk – 3-4 spoons
- Chop onions, garlic, ginger, tomato & green chili.
- Cut cottage cheese (paneer) in bite size cubes.
- Heat pan and put olive oil,
- Add cumin seeds & whole dried red chili and when they start to crackle add onion, ginger and garlic & chopped green chili and fry.
- Once it starts leaving oil on sides, switch off the burner and make a paste of it along with cashew nuts and blanched and peeled almonds.
- Put butter and add this paste, fry for another 5-10 mins till it turns into thick gravy.
- Add Cottage cheese (paneer) cubes and mix well, further heat for another 5 mins. Add saffron strands and raisins.
- Serve with fresh chopped coriander and some toasted almond flakes.
Note : this dish can be served hot with roti, naan, Methi Aloo parantha and rice too. Enjoy!!! Bon Apatite!!