Like any homemaker, I keep trying to find and make simple and healthy recipes for my family.
I like bulgur wheat recipes, as Bulgur is a well-known cereal food in many Mediterranean and middle east countries. Bulgur goes by the name of Dalia in India. Bulgur s highly rich in protein,is a whole grain cereal and enriched with vitamins too.
It’s simply a perfect bulgur salad with fresh veggies & garbanzo beans. Healthy & rich in taste.
Step by Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 20 mins 40 mins 2-3 Serving
Bulgur wheat – ¼ cup
Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) – 1/8 cup boiled
Water – 1 cup
Onion – 2 tablespoons
Tomato – ¼ cup
Cucumber – ¼ cup
Salt – per taste
Fresh lemon juice – 2 spoons
Fresh Coriander chopped finely – ½ cup
Ground black pepper
Extra light Olive oil
Whole wheat Pita – 2 – either cut into 4 equal pieces or smaller triangular wedges.
Mint leaves (optional for garnishing)
- Place bulgur wheat and water in a tightly covered pan and let it stand for 15-20 mins. Discard the excess water by sieving and with a fork fluff the bulgur. Keep aside.
- Chop onions finely, de seed plum tomatoes and chop finely, finely chop cucumber and fresh green coriander.
- In a mixing bowl place ready bulgur and add all chopped vegetables, lemon juice, garbanzo beans along with salt, ground peppers & a tablespoon of olive oil. Mix well. Keep aside at room temperature or refrigerate for half hour as desired.
- For making pita slices or wedges either bake them at 350 degrees for 10 mins or you can heat & coat grill pan with olive oil and grill the same. Either ways make them crispy & golden brown.
- Garnish with freshly chopped green coriander or mint leaves.
Note : Tabbouleh can be served hot, cold or at room temperature along with freshly done pita bread. Hummus or Tahini can be served as condiments along side. Enjoy, Cheers & Bon apatite!!!
Picture courtesy http://www.onceuponachef.com