Having a very dear Korean friend who brought me closer to Korean cuisine too. Bibimbap is a very famous recipe in Korea and generally is used with vegetables, rice and meat or chicken.
Here you can find the version with chicken. This recipe is rich and fully loaded with vegetables and pan fried egg, with a bowl of rice, so its very healthy. Its always a welcome change to try different cuisines from other parts of the world other than our regular ones we have all the time.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 25 mins 45 mins 3-4 Servings
White rice – 2 cups
Chicken breast cut into strips – 3
Garlic Cloves – 2
Spring onion – 3 thinly chopped
Green sprouts – ½ cup
Spinach – 1 bunch
Corn – 1 boiled and kernels taken out
Carrot – 2 medium size, julienned into thin matchsticks
Zucchini – cut lengthwise and thinly slice
Mushroom – 4, sliced
For Bibimbap Chili Sauce
Korean Red chili paste – 4 spoons
Sugar – 1 spoon
Sesame oil – 1 spoon
Water – 3 spoons
Rice wine vinegar – 1 spoon
- Heat water in a pan & Boil rice, it should be cooked but not very soft, should be slightly dry and firm.
- Marinate the chicken strips with soy sauce and garlic, season with salt & ground pepper. Keep aside.
- For Chili sauce – combine all ingredients together as mentioned in the sauce list . Keep aside.
- Wash & clean spinach under fresh water. Heat water and add salt. Transfer & blanch spinach in it until it starts wilting, drain fast and soak immediately in cold water. Squeeze all the water tightly with hands and mix 1 tablespoon each of sesame oil, minced garlic, chopped spring onions and roasted white sesame.
- Boil sprouts in salt water and repeat the same process as done for spinach.
- Coat zucchini slices with salt and keep aside for 10 mins, squeeze excess water by hands, mix all ingredients same way as done for spinach. Heat oil in skillet and sauté zucchini slightly for 2-3 minutes and keep aside.
- Stir-fry mushrooms after zucchini in the same skillet. Once done, add carrots and season with salt & black pepper.
- Add oil to another pan and fry eggs sunny side up.
- Stir-fry the rice in a greased pan to heat it well in one tablespoon olive oil.
Note: for Serving – put a layer of rice and top it with chicken in the middle and all other veggies around or on top of chicken, place fried egg either on one side or on top of the chicken pieces, serve the sauce separately or drizzle on top. Enjoy a colorful hot & tasty nourishing meal. Bon apatite!!!
Photo courtsey http://www.closetcooking.com