Ratatouille is a traditional dish from Nice in France. Its is stew made with vegetables primarily like bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, onion with tomatoes & basil.
gaining popularity from its birth place in France its now equally extermely popular in all Mediterranean countries too as a quick & easy summer dish.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 15 mins 35 mins 1-2 Serving
Eggplant – 1 (diced large size)
Zucchini – 1 (diced large size)
Yellow bell peppers – ½ (diced large size)
Red bell peppers – ½ (diced large size)
Green bell pepper – ½ (diced large size)
Tomato – 3 large
Basil – 1-table spoons chopped coarsely
Fresh green coriander – 4 table spoons chopped finely
Onion – 1 (diced large size)
Garlic cloves 3 – minced
Salt per taste
Ground black pepper
Bay leaf – 1
Extra virgin olive oil – 5-6 tablespoons
Fresh or dried oregano – 1 tablespoon (optional)
Red wine vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- In a dish place diced eggplants, sprinkle salt and toss and let them sit for 10 minutes, later squeeze and take water out.
- Heat water in a saucepan and add tomatoes and boil for 3-4 minutes and take off from heat and place in cold water, peel the skin and chop finely.
- Pour oil in a heavy pan and first add onions with bay leaf and then after 1-2 minutes add garlic. Fry together for 3-4 minutes more.
- Add diced bell peppers to the pan and fry further till the bell peppers are tender yet crisp.
- Now add eggplant and fry for another 2-3 mins and zucchini and fry further 2-3 minutes. At this point add chopped tomatoes along with basil (half) or fresh/dry oregano as you desire.
- Add salt & ground black pepper per taste. Add red wine vinegar and cook for another 5-6 minutes on low heat and keep simmering in between.
Note: your delicious Ratatouille is ready to be served. It goes well with toasted or crispy breads, can be enjoyed as a full meal or side dish. Bon Apatite!!
Picture courtesy http://www.betterrecipes.com (picture perfect)