This dish is a North Indian vegetarian dish made from pureed spinach and Paneer (cottage cheese). Damn Delicious to serve for dinner or lunch.
Palak (spinach) and paneer (cottage cheese) the two main ingredients of this dish are very healthy choice for any one to make. Here the pureed spinach is cooked & blended with a mix of onion, ginger, pureed tomato & spices. The result is amazing and the outcome of this dishis of bright green colour mixed with cheese cubes in it, it’s simply awesome!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
25 mins 30 mins 55 mins 1-2 Serving
- Green Palak leaves (spinach green) – 500 grams washed properly
- Water – 1 cup
- Cottage cheese(paneer) – 200 grams made with 1l liter milk
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Asafetida (heeng) – 2 pinches
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Onions – 2 medium size finely cut in cubes
- Ginger – 1 inch piece finely grated
- Green chili -1 cut into 2 pieces length wise
- Tomato – 3 large pureed
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ teaspoon
- Curd – 5 tablespoons whisked
- Sugar – ½ teaspoon ground
- Salt -1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Lemon – ½ lemon juice or sourness as per taste (optional)
- Fresh cream – 4 table spoons total
- Put spinach (Palak green) +1 cup water in the pressure cooker,mix and pressure cook or you can boil in an open pan till its wilted & cooked properly.
- Take out the boiled leaves and refresh them in cold water. drain all the cold water.
- Reserve the boiled spinach water of the cooker for further use.
- Grind boiled spinach leaves coarsely in blender with ¼ cup reserved spinach water. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok (kadai). Add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- As they crackle add onions with ginger. Cook till the time onions start becoming brown from the edges. Add tomato paste, coriander powder, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala. Stir continuously till the oil separates from the mix and then add curd otherwise curd will get separated. Cook for some another 5-7 minutes.
- Now add ground spinach. Stir .Cook for a minute .Add paneer pieces and left over spinach water.
- Now add salt and sugar + Fresh cream. Cook for 1-2 minutes more. Switch off the flame.
- Now add ½ lemon juice discarding the lemon seeds and mix. This is optional and depends on individual taste.
- Transfer into a serving bowl.
Note: Garnish with 2 table spoon grated paneer and 2 tablespoons fresh cream. Serve with hot Chapatti or tandoori roti, parantha or naan.
Recipe by Karuna Saraswat
Picture Courtesy : http://www.bellytimberbouffe.blogspot.com