Parfaits are generally known to be great for dessert, breakfast or a snack. They are usually sweet and nicely presented by layering the ingredients one on top of another.
Salted parfaits though are not very common, but think of it, it is doable, right?
I thought of this recipe one day when I saw a persian/Iranian side dish called Mast-o-khiar which is actually same as Indian “Kheere ka raita” (cucumber raita) which we often make at home. I started looking for salted parfaits online and I hit a picture from Betacyanin which seemed almost perfect and almost similar to what I wanted to do and it had a recipe which was almost done in a similar manner, like something running in my mind already.
It’s savoury and came out to be a real nice treat for my family after I tweaked it n tried it. In fact every one around who tasted it loved it so I wanted to share this recipe. Try out this recipe and you will love it.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 15 mins 35 mins 2-3 Serving
Garbonzo Beans (Chickpeas) – 1 cup (boiled)
Cucumber – 2 (1 finely chopped + 1 grated)
Raisins – 1/4 cup
Pischachio – 1/2 cup (toasted n sliced)
Almonds – 1/2 cup (thinly sliced n toasted) or flakes
Walnut – 1/4 cup (toasted)
Potato – 1 large (boiled n diced)
Avocado – 1 (grated or finely chopped)
Fresh green coriander – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Mint – leaves from 2-3 sprigsSalt per taste
Ground black pepper
Roasted cumin powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Dried dill – 1/4 teaspoon
Chia seeds – 1/2 tablepsoon
Ceyanne powder – 1/4 teaspoon or per taste
- Clean & wash garbanzo beans and soak in water over ight or atleast 6-8 hours, then boil in water with salt till soft and ready. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Roast cumin seeds in a pan and when they get aromatic and smell of a nice cumin flavor, grind them to a coarse powder.
- Take out the pulp of an avocado and chop or prepare small & thin slices.
- Pan fry the diced potatoes till they are well cooked & turn crispy from all sides, sprinkle salt.
- Blend yoghurt and mint in the blender but ensure that yoghurt is semi thick and not very runny & watery. Now add salt, ceyanne papper, black pepper, dried dill & roasted ground cumin. Add chia seeds & fresh chopped coriander and mix well with a spatula.
- Grate and finely chop cucumbers, squeeze with hands all the water out of the grated cucumbers so that yoghurt does not become too runny & watery later.
- Now start layering your parfait one by one starting with raisins, then layer of almond & pistachio & walnuts mixed (half quantity), now a layer of grated & finely chopped cucumber , then garbanzo beans, after that a layer of grated avocado, after this lay out crispy fried potatoes, now pour the yoghurt mix and on top the balance nuts.
Note: This perfectly savoury parfait can be had as a delicious snack or a starter or breakfast option as per you choice. Any way you have it, its realy Yum!!
Picture courtesy: noshon.it (betacyanin) – great pic