Thayir or Dahi Vada is again a very popular dish across India with different cooking methods & styles and having different names.
It’s a savory curd dish. Basically it is made with white lentil (urad dal) fritters, which are dipped in thick curd dipping & with a nice flavor tempering. Oh, Yummy!!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
25 mins 30 mins 55 mins 1-2 Serving
For preparation of curd:
Curd – 4-6 cups beaten
Dry red chilies – 2-3 cut into small pieces
Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon
Mustard seeds – 1 Tea spoon
Carom seed – 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1 tea spoon
Curry leaves – leaves of two sprigs
Ginger -1 tea spoon finely cut or grated
Green chilies -1-2 cut into pieces
Fresh coconut -1/2 coconut finely grated.
Salt -as per taste
Split black gram (without skin) -1 cup
Asafetida -4 pinches
Water for grinding -1/4 cup
For frying: – oil
For soaking: – 2 liters lukewarm water
Red chili -3-4 broken or cut
Cumin seeds -1/2 tea spoon
Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon
Curry leaves (curry patta) – 3-4
- Wash and soak split black gram (dhuli urad dal) for 4 hours.
- Grind split black gram (dhuli urad dal) coarsely with water in a blender or on grinding machine.
- Grind it till it gets fluffy. You can check its fluffiness by dropping a little batter in a bowl of water. If it is fluffy the batter will float on the surface of water. If it does not float means we have to make it fluffy by grinding a bit more.
- Simultaneously heat oil in a deep pan/wok (Kadai).
- When the oil is hot enough, make small round balls, flatten a bit and with the thumb make a hole in the center of the flattened circle with wet fingers and dropping them in the hot oil. Stir skimmer with holes. When they are light brown lower the heat and fry one or two minutes more. Take them out in a plate.
- Immediately transfer these vadas in lukewarm water.
- Let it sit there for 2 hours so that vadas absorb the water.
- Now beat the curd and add all the ingredients of curd preparation.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoon of oil, add cumin seeds, mustard and dry chilies. When it starts crackling and the aroma of chilies starts coming, add turmeric and curry leaves. Fry a little and add it to the curd preparation and mix.
- Now add fried vadas in the curd after squeezing the water and mix gently.
Note: South Indian dahi vadas are ready to serve. Garnish with fresh green coriander, grated carrot and some dry boondi. Enjoy!
Recipe by Karuna Saraswat
Picture courtesy: http://www.shivanimair.cucumbertown.com (great pic)