Neer Dosa, the Indian rice batter crepe also called a water crepe is healthy, delicious & a very light meal!
Neer dosa is originally from Karnataka, a very light dish from Udupi. It is made with very runny or watery rice batter mixed with salt & coconut (optional), all blended together.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
10 mins 5 mins 15 mins 3-4 Serving
Rice – 1 cup
Salt per taste
Coconut – ¼ cup (grated)
Oil – ½ teaspoon
Water – 2 cups
- Wash & clean rice properly & soak it either overnight or at least 4-6 hours.
- Now blend it well with coconut (if you choose to use coconut) & water in the blender, make it a fine paste (runny consistency).
- Now take it out and put it a deep bowl. Add salt per taste and add more water so it’s enough to make the batter very watery or runny, it should not stick to the ladle.
- Now heat the tawa or a flat pan and drizzle with few drops oil first and wipe the oil with paper towel, now sprinkle few drops of water, after that pour a ladle of the runny rice batter and swirl it so that it covers the entire pan or tawa surface well. Let it be like a very thin layer coat.
- Add few drops of oil. On the spread out batter.
- Now cook it covered for about 40-60 seconds, normally its done by that time and then with a spatula, when the sides start to lifting up, get the sides detached or eased out completely and roll the dosa into half and then repeat and fold again to get a triangle shape.
- Your neer dosa is ready to plate in the triangle shape now.
Note: Neer dosa can be served with coconut or tomato chutney’s or Kurma or even sambhar. Yummy Yummy!
Recipe by Guest Chef Manjula Hosmani