Baigan ka bharta is one of the main North Indian dishes, known from Punjabi cuisine, extremely delicious. Its made with roasted & mashed eggplants (baigan) cooked with onion & tomato & dry spices.
If it is roasted on an open flame then a smoky flavor and aroma becomes a part of this recipe but if oven roasted then this smoky effect is missing.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
25 mins 20 mins 45 mins 3-4 Serving
Eggplants (baigan) Big – 900 grams
Onion – 2 large (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 inch piece (grated)
Tomato – 3 large (pureed)
Green coriander – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Peas – ½ cup (boiled in salt water)
Green chili – 1 (finely chopped)
Salt per taste
Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Coriander powder – ¼ teaspoon
Garam masala – ¼ teaspoon
Butter – 2 teaspoon
Extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil – 2 tablespoon
- Wash, dry & oil the outside surface of eggplants with oil and roast on open stove flame or in a pre-heated oven.
- When the skin burns and browns & eggplants become soft from inside (prick with a fork or knife or any needle & check), then take off heat. Now immediately put in a pan with water and peel them. After peeling, eggplants need to be mashed with fork or masher into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in wok and first add cumin seeds, when they splitter, add onion, ginger, green chili & fry till onion start getting brown for 7-8 minutes.
- Now add tomato puree and dry spices – salt and coriander powder and fry till oil separates from masala, now add mashed eggplants with boiled peas and fry together for another 8-10 minutes.
- Now add garam masala powder and chili powder along with green coriander. Fry for another 5-6 minutes till its ready.
Note: Serve hot with a blob of butter, goes well with chapatti, naan, roti or even rice. Enjoy!
Picture courtesy: http://www.punjabifoodrecipesdishes.blogspot.com