Maharashtrian or Marathi cuisine is generally known to be mild spicy or spicy. They love a lot of seafood but are equally fond of veggies too. In their cuisine they like to add sugar or jaggery to get a sweet effect.
Here is a great and famous Marathi recipe with stuffed eggplants (brinjals) with tasty filling. Try out!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 25 mins 45 mins 3-4 Serving
Eggplants (brinjal)– 6 small
Onions – 2 small (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 large (finely chopped)
Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
Green chili – 1 (chopped)
Peanuts – 2 tablespoon (roasted & powdered)
Jaggery (gud) – 1 tablespoon (grated) – optional
Asafetida (heeng) – ¼ teaspoon
Cinnamon – I small piece
Cloves – 3
Black peppercorns – 3-4
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Salt per taste
Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoon
Sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
Garlic cloves – 4-5
Dry coconut – 2 tablespoon (grated)
Fresh green coriander – ¼ cup (chopped)
- Wash, clean and dry the eggplants properly.
- Cut the eggplants in half & then slice again making four parts till the bottom edge, but don’t cut fully and separate them, keep the bottom part intact, keep the sliced eggplants with the stems and soak in salted water for 10-15 minutes. Take out just before using and dry them.
- Now dry roast coconut, cinnamon, cloves & peppercorns and then add to grinder & coarsely grind along with green coriander, green chili & garlic cloves.
- Then heat oil in a wok or pan and add cumin seeds (half quantity) first, when they splitter & get aromatic, then add chopped onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes then add ginger-garlic paste and fry on medium heat till the onions start getting golden brown. Now add chopped tomatoes and fry for another 5-7 minutes till they are tender too.
- Lower the heat and now add jaggery & dry ground spices – turmeric powder, salt, asafetida & roasted peanut powder.
- Now take off heat & cool it. Once at normal temperature stuff this filling in the all the sliced eggplants. Fill it pressing lightly with hand to ensure that there is no gap inside the eggplants.
- Now in another pan heat oil and add balance cumin seeds add the stuffed eggplants, fry for 4-5 minutes till eggplants start changing color to golden brown, now add water and let the curry simmer for 4-5 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with fresh green coriander.
Note: The Bharleli Vaangi is generally served with Jwarichi Bhakari (jawar ki roti) or chapatti or rice. Enjoy this lovely tasting Marathi dish. Bon apatite!
Picture courtesy: http://www.choosy-beggers.com