Think of South Indian food and the very first thing, which comes to mind and the mouth starts watering immediately, is Dosa. Oh! Most people love it, it can be part of breakfast, lunch or dinner, either simple plain dosa or stuffed masala dosa.
Dosa is made with rice & split white skin less lentils soaked & grinded with mustard seeds and cooked in round shape on the big pan or tawa.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
8-10 hours 5 mins 8 hours 10 mins 3-4 Serving
Normal Rice – 100 grams
Idli Rice – 400 grams
Urad dal (black split lentils without skin) – 200 grams 1 ½ cup
Bengal gram (Chana dal) – 50 grams ¼ cup
Methi seeds – 1 teaspoon
Oil for – 3 tablespoon
Potato – 500 grams (washed, boiled
Onion – medium 2 (finely chopped)
Ginger – ½ teaspoon (grated)
Curry leaves – 5-6
Green chili – 1 (chopped)
Whole dried red chili – 2
Gram lentils (chana dal) – ½ teaspoon
Urad dal (black split lentils without skin) – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon or even less
Salt per taste
Fresh green coriander – 2 tablespoon
- Wash & soak dal & rice in water for 5-6 hours. Grind them now in the grinder starting with dal first, when it becomes smooth add rice and grind together. Methi seeds should be grinded together as well.
- Now transfer the batter to a large size pan or pot and let it sit overnight to ferment. The pan should be big size as after fermentation the batter will rise and if the pan is small it can spill & make a mess.
- In the morning when you want to make dosa, first check the consistency, if it’s very thick, add some more water to make it slightly runny.
- Heat a large pan or dosa tawa and brush it with oil & clean with kitchen paper towel, if using non-stick tawa, no need to oil it before starting.
- Now take one big ladle full of batter and spread on the tawa/pan moving your hand in a circular manner (increasing the width with each circle)
- Put few drops of oil randomly across the width of the dosa and cover if possible with glass cover so you can see the dosa cooking.
- After 15-20 seconds, when it starts getting cooked and starts browning, then flip it on the other side, cook for another few seconds and fold it.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, whole red chili, chana dal & urad dal, fry for 2-3 minutes till aromatic.
- Then add onions, ginger & green chili. Fry for another 7-8 minutes till onions start to turn golden in color. Now add turmeric powder, green coriander & salt. Fry for another 5-6 minutes. Its ready to be stuffed inside dosa or just kept on the side on the serving plate.
Note: Hot dosa is ready to be served with Sāmbhar & chutney. Enjoy either plain or masala dosa as per your liking!
picture courtesy: http://www.8elementssd.com(nice pic)