Pot of Hyderabadi Biryani! This awesome mutton biryani is a rich rice & meat dish from the kitchen of the Nizam’s of Hyderabad. It is one of the most well-known & delicious Indian dishes.
There are many biryani variants in India but this one is one of the most sought after by one & all. Cooking this is definitely worth making an effort!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
35 mins 45 mins 1 Hour 20 mins 3-4 Serving
Mutton (Lamb) – 500 grams (boneless or with bones as per choice) – washed & cleaned well
Basmati Rice – 1 ½ cup
Oil – 1 ½ cup
Onions – 4 + 1 large (thinly sliced)
Caraway seeds (shah jeera) – ½ teaspoon
Black peppercorns – 10-12
Small cardamom – 6-8
Big cardamom – 4
Clove – 6-8
Cinnamon – 2-3 (1 inch pieces)
Bay leaves – 2
Clarified butter (Ghee) – 4 tablespoons
Cashew nuts & sliced almonds – ½ cup shallow fried
Water – 6 cups
For the Mutton Marinade:
Yoghurt – 1 cup
Ginger paste – 1 tablespoon
Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
Green chili -2
Fresh green coriander – 2-3 tablespoon
Mint leaves – 2 tablespoon
Lemon juice – 2 ½ tablespoon
Salt per taste
Turmeric powder – 1
Red chili powder – 1 tablespoon
Saffron – few strands mixed in ¼ cup milk
- In pan heat oil for frying and fry1 thinly sliced onion, when it becomes golden brown, take out in a plate with paper towel to absorb excess oil. keep aside.
- Now grind caraway seeds, part whole spices – peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves & green cardamoms to form a fine mix spice powder.
- To prepare the marinade, in a large mixing bowl add pre washed & cleaned mutton, yoghurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, green coriander part chopped mint leaves. Add salt, turmeric, red chili powder, and spice mix powder along with oil. Mix well & refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Wash & soak rice for ½ to 1 hour, drain. Heat water in a large saucepan and add rice along with whole spices – bay leaf, part peppercorns, part cinnamon, part cardamoms & part cloves. Cook till you feel it is done more than half way but not fully cooked. Take off heat. Keep aside.
- Heat half quantity of clarified butter (ghee) in a large pan, add remaining whole spices, big cardamoms and add four sliced onions. When the onions start becoming brown, add the marinated mutton. Fry for 5-6 minutes on high heat & the lower the heat till the mutton is nearly done, soft & tender yet not fully cooked.
- Heat the remaining quantity of clarified butter in a heavy bottomed pan and add balance mint leaves. Now put a layer of almost done rice. Next will be layer of nearly done mutton mix. Now layer it again with rice and finely sprinkle the saffron milk and cover tightly with a thick cloth or heavy aluminum foil to put it in Dum (not allowing heat to come out) for 8-10 minutes. Open and check and if cooked well already,
- Garnish with fried cashew nuts & almonds & fried onions, serve hot.
Note: Serve with raita. Enjoy!
Picture courtesy: http://www.mapsofindia.com(nice pic)
Recipe posted by Sheel Khanna