Chia seeds are a flowering plant of the mint family. These edible little black & white seeds come from a plant Salvia hispanica from Mexico & were used as early as Mayan & Aztec era.
Chia means strength & it is believed that even in ancient times chia seeds were used as a source for energy or rather were considered as energy boosters.
Chia seeds are a whole-grain food which body can absorb well. About 2 tablespoons of chia seeds contains almost 139 calories, Wow!
How are Chia Seeds beneficial?
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Amazing part is that these tiny seeds are fully packed with important nutrients. They are one of the best sources of Omega-3 fatty acids, which help to raise the Good Cholesterol, which is essential in protecting against heart attacks & stroke.
- Antioxidants – They are exceptionally rich in antioxidants, which help the body from cancer & ageing fast as per researchers.
- Minerals – They are loaded with fiber, magnesium, iron, zinc & calcium, which help in prevention of hypertension & manage body weight well. Two tablespoons of chia contain 50% manganese, 35% phosphorous, 24% magnesium & 18% calcium, which are really helpful in energy metabolism of the body.
- Gluten-free – they contain no gluten or grains so if you want to follow gluten free diet, then these are the right food.
- Regulates Blood Sugar – they are an important factor in regulating body insulin levels, which helps in regulating blood sugar. Great source to controlling Diabetes.
- Satiety – satiation means feeling full stomach and satisfied. The perfect blend of protein, fiber & gelling effect when mixed with liquids give chia a very satiable effect. This helps in weight loss.
- Egg replacement – when mixed with liquids chia seeds form a gel layer around them, this can replace eggs in controlling cholesterol & can make food healthy. One tablespoon of chia if mixed with 3 tablespoon of water and can have equal nutrients as an egg after keeping for 15 minutes and allowing the gelling effect to happen.
- Detox & Digestion – Can help in making bowl movement easier.
- Bone health – they are high in bone nutrients.
- Excercising abilities – Enhances exercise performance.
How to use Chia seeds?
- Well, chia seeds can use by mixing in any cereals, fruits, vegetables, yoghurts, rice dishes, puddings, desserts, muffins, smoothies or breads.
How much quantity of Chia is good for every day intake?
- 1½ tablespoons of chia twice per day are the right quantity as per researchers.
Looking at the numerous benefits of chia, it sure looks like a super food to include in our diets. Now people have started using it again and its fast gaining popularity once again like it was in ancient times.
Note: Don’t take raw chia seeds with water or any liquids as it swells and can harm throat. It’s also advisable to not use for small children as per the researchers.
Its definately worth starting to use this fabulous wonder food!
Post by Parul Khanna
Categories: Appy Blog