Taka Dahl, it is lentils, chickpeas & pepper all spiced up together in tomato puree & coconut cream sauce, Wow, Taka Dahl is an amazing dish, which is delicious & filling.
This dal is a nice blend of chickpeas, red lentils & chana dal in curried coconut creamy sauce, with favors and aroma of Indian fresh spices. It has only about 279 calories, perfect!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
25 mins 1 hour 30 mins 1 hour 55 mins 3-4 Serving
Chana dal lentils (split Bengal gram) – ¼ cup
Chickpeas (chana) – ½ cup
Red lentils – ¼ cup
Carrot – ¼ cup (sliced)
Red pepper – 1 tablepsoon (diced)
Spinach – ½ cup
Green peas -¼ cup (optional)
Onion – 1 large (pureed_
Ginger – 1 inch (pureed)
Garlic – 2 cloves (pureed)
Tomato puree – 2 large
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Fresh cream – ¼ cup
Corn flour – 1 ½ tablespoon
Salt per taste
Bay leaf – 1
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Red pepper – ¼ teaspoon
Coriander powder – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Garam masala – ¼ teaspoon
Cinnamon powder – 1/8 teaspoon – (optional)
Cloves powder – 1/8 teaspoon – (optional)
- Wash and soak chickpeas, red lentils & chana dal separately overnight.
- Make onion ginger garlic puree in blender n keep aside. Now separately make tomato puree and keep aside.
- Prepare coconut milk from fresh coconut or use canned one, mix well with corn flour, keep aside.
- First pressure-cook chickpeas separately with salt & pinch of turmeric. Boil till tender. Drain and keep aside.
- Now boil chana dal and red lentils together with salt and pinch of turmeric. Boil till tender.
- Now heat oil in a wok or large pan, add cumin seeds & bay leaf, when they splutter add onion, ginger & garlic puree & red pepper. Fry till onions turn golden brown for 5-6 minutes. Now add spinach & green peas and fry further for another 3-4 minutes till the spinach leaves start wilting.
- Now add tomato puree and also add dry spices – turmeric powder, coriander powder, black pepper to taste, salt to taste, pinch of cinnamon & clove powders each, red pepper powder. Fry for about 10-15 minutes till oil separates from masala mix.
- Now add boiled chana, chana dal & red lentils along with coconut-corn flour mix milk. Mix and simmer on low heat, If the gravi is becoming too dry and thick, you can add some more water. Add garam masala now. Mix well.
- Cook till the tastes blend well. Garnish with green coriander.
Note: Serve hot with plain or fried rice or any bread of your choice, chapatti, roti or naan. Bon Apetite!
Picture courtesy: http://www.onceuponachef.com(nicepic)