Indian cuisine is full of different flavors from all over the country, amongst them South Indian cuisine is one of the hot favorite one. Very sumptuous, delicious and utterly mouth watering.
Here is a delicious, quick & easy dish, with green beans cooked with lentils with mustard and curry leaves flavors. This can be enjoyed as a side dish.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 25 mins 45 mins 4 Serving
French Beans – 2 cups (chopped or sliced diagonally)
Onion – 1 large (finely chopped) – optional
Garlic cloves – 2 (minced)
Curry leaves – 5-6
Toor dal (pigeon pea lentils) – ½ cup
Chana dal (bengal gram lentils) – ½ cup
Urad dal (white split lentils) – 1 teaspoon
Coconut grated – 1 tablespoon
Red chili whole – 2
Salt per taste
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Asafetida – 1/8 teaspoon
Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Wash and soak the lentils for 2 hours and then drain them.
- Grind them now with whole red chili, cumin seeds, salt, turmeric powder & asafetida coarsely.
- Now steam this dal mix in idli stand or steamer for 8-10 minutes in any shape of your choice. Now take out of steamer and let it cool down. After it cools down, break the steamed dal with hands coarsely or you can again grind them coarsely.
- Now heat oil in a large pan & add the mustard seeds and curry leaves & white lentils, when the mustard seeds splutter add chopped onion and minced garlic. Fry till onions start to turn golden brown now add the diagonally sliced French beans. Cover and cook till the beans are soft and tender, add just enough water if required so they get too dry.
- Now add the steamed & crumbled dal mix with the beans. Add grated coconut too.
Note: Serve hot with chapatti, roti or rice as a side dish. Bon Apatite!