Pulisseri is a traditional dish from Kerala; it is made with yoghurt and coconut with veggies or fruits or some times both. It is sweet & sour both. It is absolutely delicious.
This recipe is made with some veggies & some fruits cooked in yoghurt & coconut based spiced gravy. The result is truly amazing. You can make pulisseri with ash gourd, pineapple, cucumber, raw banana, raw papaya etc.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
10 mins 15 mins 25 mins 4 Servings
Raw banana (plantain) – 1 large (diced)
Coconut – 1 cup
Green chili – 1 (finely chopped)
Yoghurt – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Water – ½ + ½ cup
Onion small – 6 (finely sliced)
Curry leaves – 5-6
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Dry whole red chili – 3
Fenugreek powder – ¼ teaspoon
Red chili powder – ¼ teaspoon
Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Blend yoghurt, water & salt together. Keep aside.
- In a grinder, add coconut, turmeric powder, green chili & cumin seeds and grind together with water to form an even paste.
- In a saucepan heat water and add raw banana (plantain) with salt & turmeric & chili powder. Cook it gets tender & soft.
- Now add the coconut paste slowly and stir well. Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, when the seeds splutter, add sliced onions along with curry leaves, fenugreek powder & whole dried chilies. Cook further for 1-2 minutes more. Now pour this tempering on the curry and mix gently to avoid breaking of raw banana.
Note: Serve hot with rice or chapatti. Enjoy!
Picture courtesy: http://www.whatshelikes.com(nicepics)