Nasi Goreng or Fried rice is one of the main dishes in Indonesian cuisine. It is very easy to cook and is a hot favorite amongst Indonesians and every one who visits Indonesia and is a non-vegetarian.It is actually their comfort food.
I lived there myself for a long time and have many local friends there so I wanted to present a recipe which I saw them enjoying often. This Nasi Goreng-(fried rice) recipe is a short version or consider it a quick recipe with chicken and prawns cooked with spices & onions & garlic along with sweet soy sauce. I have tweaked the actual recipe a bit to suit the taste here.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
2 hours 35 mins 2 hours 35 mins 3-4 Serving
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Onions – medium 2 (sliced)
Garlic cloves – 2 (minced)
Spring onions – 1 (finely chopped)
Peas – 100 grams (frozen, thawed, boiled in salt water)
Fresh green coriander – 2 tablespoon
Green chili – 2 (chopped)
Chicken breast – 1 large (skinless, boneless, cut into small pieces)
Prawns – ¼ cup (peeled & deveined)
Eggs – 2 large (beaten) + 1 egg (fried)
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt per taste
Nasi goreng paste – 1 tablespoon (optional)
Sweet Soy sauce – 3 tablespoon (kecap manis- Indonesian)
Water – 2 cups
Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Wash and cook rice in water till soft & tender. Drain water if the water is still remaining and cool it.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add beaten eggs, swirl around the pan to the eggs form a thin layer. When the eggs start setting, slowly try to detach the edges from all the sides, turn on the other side. When both sides are well done, take out and slice – thin ½ inch strips.
- In another pan heat oil and add onions, garlic, green chilies, salt, nasi goreng paste & spring onions. Fry for 5-6 minutes and then add chicken pieces and prawns. Add cumin powder and coriander powder. Fry further for another 8-10 minutes.
- Now add sweet soy sauce & omelet strips along with cooled rice. Mix well and cook till the chicken & prawns are well cooked.
- On the side make fried egg by heating oil in pan and breaking the egg in it, let it set and cook from under, cook sunny side up. season with salt & ground pepper.
- Garnish with fresh green coriander and the fried egg on top.
Note: Quick version of Nasi Goreng is ready to be served. Bon Apatite!