Sarson Ka Saag (green mustard leaves tick curry) is one of the hot favorites of all Punjabi people. Very popular during the winter months, they love to eat it with Makki Ki roti.
Here this recipe is made with green leafy veggies with a nice tempering and served usually with a blob of butter or cream. Try out the true taste of Punjab cuisine.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
25 mins 30 mins 55 mins 1-2 Serving
Sarson ka saag (Green mustard) – 500 grams
Spinach green – 200 grams
Chenopodium green (Bathua) – 100 grams
Ginger – 1 inch piece grated
Green chili – 1 cut into pieces
Garlic – ½ spoon finely cut
Tomato – 1 roughly cut
Water – ½ cup
Soda bicarbonate – 2 pinches
Oil – 3 tablespoons
Onions – 2 finely cut in cubes
Asafetida (heeng) – 2 pinches
Dried whole red chili – 2
Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Sugar – ½ teaspoon ground
Maize flour – 1 tablespoon heaped
Chickpea flour(besan) roasted -Use when maize flour is not available
Big pots – 2 for washing green leaves
Method of washing the green leaves:
- Put green mustard +Green spinach+ Chenopodium a big pot. Add tap water above the level of greens in the pot. Mix with hand. Keep another big pot or plate handy.
- Lift green leaves with both the hands and put them in another second pot .Lift all the greens and keep on putting in the second pot .Throw this water. You will find dirt collected at the bottom of the pot. Wash this pot with plain water.
- Now again fill the second pot of greens with water and mix with hand.
- Lift all the green leaves from the second pot and put them in the first pot.
- You have to do these exercise 5 or 6 times repeatedly till there is no dirt visible at the bottom of the pot.
- You will see that all the dirt settles at the bottom of the pot. It is visible only when you lift the greens and throw the water out.
- Put all the ingredients from number 1 to 9 in the pressure cooker. Close with the pressure cooker lid.
- Cook on high flame till 1 whistle. Lower the flame and cook on lower flame for 10 more minutes. take off heat.
- Let the pressure release by itself from the cooker. Let it cool down.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add asafetida, whole dried red chili and onions and cook till onions turn light brown.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, ground boiled greens and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes after boil.
- Now add maize flour and sugar. Stir continuously.
- Cook till you get the required consistency.
Note: Sarson ka saag is ready to be served in a serving bowl. It is well known and liked to be taken with Makki ki Roti. Top it up with ablob of butter or cream per choice. Enjoy!
recipe contributed by Karuna Saraswat
Picture courtesy: spicesofindia.co.uk(nicepic)