Dalma is an authentic Oriya dish. There are many versions of this classic Oriya dish too but this one is known as a Temple recipe and is a part of Mahaprasad food. Generally people like to cook & enjoy Dalma during fasting time or Navratra time.
Dalma is a very delicious and fulfilling dish cooked with lentils & veggies and beautifully tempered with flavors of panch-poran (five spices). I got this recipe from a very dear friend who is originally from Orissa. Try out and enjoy!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
25 mins 30 mins 55 mins 4 Serving
Toor Dal (arhar or pigeon pea lentils) – ¾ cup
Potato – 1 (cup) (peeled & chopped)
Eggplant – 1 cup (chopped)
Pumpkin – 1 cup (peeled & chopped)
Raw papaya – 1 cup (chopped)
Ginger – 1 inch (grated)
Drumstick – 1 (chopped) – optional
Fresh green coriander – 3 tablespoon
Bay leaf – 1
Salt per taste
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Red chili powder – ¼ teaspoon
Ground cumin – ¼ teaspoon
Whole dried red chili – 3 + 1
Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 tablespoon
Panch Poran – 1 teaspoon (kala jeera, cumin, mustard, fennel & fenugreek mix)
Grated coconut – 1 tablespoon
- Wash and clean Toor dal, half boil with water, salt, grated ginger, turmeric powder & bay leaf. Keep aside.
- Now add all vegetables – potato, raw papaya, pumpkin & eggplant and cook till they are done, the veggies are soft and tender. Keep aside.
- Now dry roast ½ teaspoon cumin seeds & whole red chili and grind them to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Now take a large pan or wok and heat ghee and add panch poran and one whole red chili. Add the boiled dal-veggies in the pan. Also add ground cumin, & red chili powder. Simmer on low heat for 1-2 minutes. Keep the dal consistency per taste
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with finely chopped fresh green coriander & grated coconut.
Note: Healthy nutritious & delicious Dalma is ready and can be served with chapatti, roti or rice. Enjoy!
Recipe contributed by Bobby Panigrahi
Bobby is originally from Orissa,India. A truly humble & wonderful person full of warmth, a great cook, a lovable mom of two great kids, wife of a successful hotelier & a perfect home-maker. Cheers to her!!
Check out Bobby Panigrahi’s profile in the “Appy Chef” section as our guest chef. Some more recipes are shortly coming up from Bobby, so look out for them & keep visiting & viewing Appy Bistro recipes.
Picture courtesy: authenticoriyafood-oriyarasoi.blogspot.com(nicepic)