Batatyachi bhaji is basically fried potato dish. Potato is one of the main veggie, used in a lot of ways and is a part of all different cuisines across globe. This one is a very simple yet delicious sabzi.
In this version, the baby potatoes are crushed and shallow fried with onion, ginger-garlic-chili and spices, with a nice flavor of asafetida, curry leaves and ground peanuts. Yummy!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 25 mins 45 mins 3-4 Serving
Baby Potato – 15-16 (washed, dried and crushed with skin)
Small pearl onions – 6-7 (peeled and halved)
Ginger – ½ teaspoon
Garlic cloves – 2
Green chili – 1
Fresh green coriander – 2 tablespoons
Curry leaves – 5-6
Salt per taste
Mustard seeds – ¾ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Asafetida – 1 pinch
Peanut powder – 1 ½ teaspoon
Oil – 3-4 tablespoon
- Wash, dry and crush the potato in a mortar and pestle.
- Grind green chilies, ginger & garlic into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard & cumin seeds and asafetida. When the seeds splutter, add onions and fry for 5-6 minutes till they start becoming golden brown.
- Now add the chili-ginger-garlic paste, crushed potatoes, salt & turmeric powder. Cover and fry for 10-15 minutes. Incase it gets too dry then just sprinkle some water. Cook till potatoes are tender.
- Add peanut powder and chopped green coriander. Mix well.
- Once the potatoes are tender, fry for another 5-6 minutes uncovered so that they become crispy.
Note: Serve Batatyachi Thecha Bhaji as side dish, goes well with chapatti. Enjoy!