In North India stuffed green capsicum or bharvi Shimla mirch is very famous. I like them too very much. The usual one is with green bell pepper or capsicum stuffed with boiled & fried potatoes.
I had planned to cook the same today and thought that it would be fun if I also add the red and yellow bell peppers with some other stuffing’s too. Well, I did that and it came out well & it is just another way of eating bell peppers, so check out.
I have made green bell peppers stuffed with fried potatoes, red bell peppers with mashed & sautéed cottage cheese (paneer) and lastly the yellow bell peppers with boiled & mashed peas sautéed with little potatoes, the result is really nice.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
25 mins 25 mins 50 mins 3 Serving
Green bell peppers – 2 (cored & to keep the chopped head)
Yellow bell peppers – 2 (cored & to keep the chopped head)
Red bell peppers – 2 (cored & to keep the chopped head)
Potato – 4 (boiled, peeled & mashed or finely chopped)
Peas – 1 cup (boiled in salt water & mashed)
Cottage cheese (paneer) – 1 ½ cup (mashed)
Onion – small 1 (finely chopped)
Green chili – 3 (finely chopped)
Green coriander – 3 tablespoon (finely chopped)
Salt per taste
Red chili powder – ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Oil – 2 tablespoon and for shallow frying
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in a pan and add ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, when they splutter add green chili, salt & red chili powder & turmeric powder and add boiled potatoes & fresh green coriander. Fry for 4-5 minutes and keep aside.
- Now add oil again and add onions & green chili. Sauté till onions start to become slight brown, then add a pinch of turmeric powder, salt & ground black pepper along with cottage cheese & fresh coriander. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and keep aside.
- Now next is to heat oil and add cumin seeds, when they splutter add boiled & mashed peas with 2-3 tablespoon of boiled & mashed potatoes along with fresh coriander. Add salt & pinch of turmeric & red chili powder, sauté for 4-5 minutes and keep aside.
- Now cut the heads off all bell peppers and de seed them, keeping the heads intact. After that stuff the fried potatoes in green bell peppers, cottage cheese mix in red bell peppers & peas mix in yellow bell peppers. You can shuffle the combinations per choice. I tried this as I felt the combination contrasts would work nice.
- Now grease a large pan and grill the whole stuffed bell peppers covered with their heads to avoid stuffing from coming out. Keep turning & rotating them from time to time while grilling so that they become brown from all sides but don’t get burned and also get grilled & cooked from all sides properly.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve hot.
Note: Grilled stuffed bell peppers can be served as a side dish with curries, dal along with chapatti, roti, naan or rice. Bon Apatite!