Double Beans is a very commonly used ingredient in the Badaga cuisine. Badaga community is mostly settled in the Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu, India.
The double beans are highly protein rich and have a very distinct & unique taste. Badaga people are experts in creating different & delicious recipes using these double beans and the most commonly known is the El-Ararai Udhakka (double beans curry). Try this delicious dish.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
10 mins 14 mins 24 mins 6 Serving
Double beans – 500 grams
Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
Tomato – 2 (finely chopped)
Potato – 2 (diced – small cubes)
Coconut – 2 tablespoons (ground)
Curry leaves- 8-10
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Salt per taste
Sāmbhar powder – 2½ teaspoon
- Boil the potatoes well and mash them. Keep aside.
- In a pressure-cooker boil double beans without cover with 2 cups of water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard leaves, curry leaves & onion, sauté till onions start to become translucent, then add salt, Sāmbhar powder & tomatoes. Mix well.
- Grind the coconut in a mixer and add to the pan. Mix all together well and then transfer from the pan to the pressure cooker.
- Now add the mashed potatoes along with double beans to the cooker. Close the cooker and let it cook till 2 whistles. Open the cooker once the steam is out and check the curry consistency, if it’s too thick then add some more water and boil for few minutes for the spices to blend properly. If its too runny then let it boil uncovered. Adjust the curry consistency & salt, as you like.
Note: Delicious double beans curry is ready and can be served with rice, chapatti or pooris. Enjoy!
Recipe coontributed by Divya Srikanth