Haldi Ki Sabzi or Turmeric Curry is a traditional dish from Rajasthan. It is cooked with raw turmeric and is generally cooked at home and is a part of the menu served for special parties or weddings or any special occasions.
Turmeric has its own medicinal value and is usually used to treat cold and joint pains etc. If we can eat a delicious dish, which has, healing effects too, well what more can we ask for!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 20 mins 40 mins 4 Serving
Raw turmeric – 250 grams (washed, dried, peeled & grated)
Peas – 1 cup
Ginger – 1 ½ inch piece (peeled and chopped)
Green chili – 2 (chopped)
Tomato – 4 large (2 tomato chopped + 2 tomato paste)
Fresh green coriander – 1 tablespoon
For ground spices:
Cardamom – 4
Cloves – 4
Cinnamon – 2 pieces
Black pepper – 6-8
Salt per taste
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Asafetida – 1 large pinch
Coriander powder – 2 teaspoon
Anise – ½ teaspoon
Yoghurt – 400 grams (whisked)
Ghee (clarified butter) – 150 grams
- In a mixer add ginger, green chili and 2 tomatoes and make a smooth paste.
- Grind together the dry whole spices – peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom & cloves to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a large pan and fry the grated turmeric till it becomes golden brown, continuously keep stirring the turmeric while frying. Take out and keep separately. Now fry peas in the same pan. Take out and keep aside.
- Now put cumin seeds in the ghee in the pan and when they splutter add asafetida along with ground spices, coriander and anise powder. Fry for 1-2 minutes and add tomato-chili-ginger paste, now fry till ghee separates from masala.
- After this add the whisked yoghurt and when it starts to bubble then add fried turmeric and balance chopped tomatoes, fried peas & salt. Keep stirring continuously till they reach a boiling point, cook for 3-4 minutes. You can add some water or milk per choice if the consistency is very thick.
- Take off heat and mix chopped fresh green coriander, let it sit covered for 10 minutes and then serve.
Note: Haldi Peas curry can be served with roti, chapatti, naan or rice. For a richer taste, add 2 tablespoons of fresh cream.Enjoy!
picture courtesy: dishcovery.in(nicepic)