This Peruvian classic chicken dish is very popular and delicious. It is basically shredded chicken cooked in a spicy creamy & cheesy walnut sauce, the specialty of this dish is that it is cooked with bright yellow Aji Amarillo peppers, I have tried to substitute these peppers with a hot pepper & yellow bell pepper, the result was nice too.
In this recipe chicken is first boiled and shredded and then cooked in delicious spicy creamy walnut sauce with Parmesan cheese. Yummy!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 45 mins 65 mins 4 servings
Chicken breasts – 2
Onion – 1 large (finely chopped)
Garlic cloves – 3 (finely chopped)
Aji peppers – 3 or hot pepper & yellow bell pepper mix
Chili – 1 large (mild not hot, seeds taken out & finely chopped))
Walnuts – 40 grams (ground)
Parmesan cheese – 20 grams (grated)
Bread crumbs – 50 grams (white bread)
Full cream milk – 200 grams
Olive oil or vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
Salt per taste
Ground black pepper
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Paprika powder – 1 teaspoon
- Heat water in a saucepan and add chicken, the water should be well enough to soak the chicken, bring to boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes till the chicken looks opaque and is well cooked from inside.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in little milk. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions, fry till onions become golden brown for 8-10 minutes, then add chopped garlic and chilies. Fry for another 1-2 minutes and add paprika, salt and turmeric powder. Stir well to mix everything well together.
- Now add the shredded chicken and mix well to coat it properly. Add the breadcrumbs and balance milk. Bring to a boil and lower the heat and simmer for another 5-6 minutes.
- Now add the ground walnut and mix well, simmer together till the sauce becomes thick and creamy. If the sauce is very thick you can add some more milk and adjust salt & pepper accordingly.
- Finally add the grated Parmesan and mix well. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Note: Delicious chicken, Aji De Gallina is usually served with rice, hard-boiled eggs, black olives and boiled baby potatoes. Bon Apatite!
Picture courtesy: polloselrancho.net(nicepic)