Italian pasta, well every one knows about it & loves it. Arrabiata sauce is commonly known as the red sauce, it an Italian hot spicy sauce made with tomato, hot red peppers & garlic cooked in olive oil. This sauce has got its name from Italian word “Arrabbiata” meaning angry, probably the reactions after eating hot sauce.
Pasta on other hand is one of the most famous Italian dishes; this recipe involves penne pasta with arrabiata sauce. It is yummy, so try to enjoy!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 35 mins 55 mins 4 servings
Penne Pasta – 265 grams
Onion – 1 large (finely chopped)
Garlic cloves – 4 (minced)
Tomatoes – 6-7 large (crushed or 28 oz. canned)
Parsley – ½ cup
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese grated or shaved
Classic pesto – (recipe and measures below)
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt per taste
Ground black pepper – ¼ teaspoon
Dried oregano – 2 teaspoon
Red chili pepper – ½ teaspoon (crushed)
Bacon or pancetta – ½ cup (chopped) – optional
Red wine (dry) or vegetable broth – ½ cup
For Classic Pesto:
Basil leaves fresh – 3 cups
Garlic cloves – 4 (peeled & chopped)
Walnuts or pine nuts – ½ cup
Olive oil – 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoon
Parmesan or Romano cheese – ½ cup
Salt per taste
Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat water in a saucepan and boil penne pasta with salt till al-Dente. Drain water and retain the pasta water. Keep penne and pasta water separately aside.
- In another large saucepan, for making tomato sauce, heat oil and add onions, garlic & bacon or pancetta (optional). Cook for 3-4 minutes till the bacon or pancetta becomes brown, take off heat and add wine or vegetable broth. Now go back to cooking again at medium heat and stir and scrap till all the liquid evaporates. Now add the crushed tomatoes along with salt, ground pepper, oregano, red chili pepper and parsley. Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes till the sauce thickens and reaches your desired consistency.
- Add pasta to hot tomato sauce or to classic pesto per choice. If the pasta feels too dry, add the reserved pasta water to keep the pasta moist.
- Garnish & top with grated cheese and additional parsley. Serve immediately.
Classic pesto recipe:
- In a blender or food processor add all ingredients and process or blend to make a smooth sauce. If needed add more olive oil.
Note: Freshly made delicious penne pasta can be served with bread or grilled veggies etc. Bon Apatite!