I have written about basic cornmeal polenta, so thought of sharing some easy and delicious polenta recipes too. So here is one of them, which makes a great party appetizer or a side dish and is low on calories.
Here we are talking about making polenta by boiling in water with salt, then grill them and serve with topping of caramelized onions, cheese n peppers or make a salsa with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, black olive & olive oil as your topping with dollop of sour cream, you can try any other of your choice of toppings or just serve plain on the side with veggies.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 40 mins 4 hours 6-8 Servings
Dry polenta – 1 cup
Garlic – 1 teaspoon (minced)
Onions – 2 cups (thinly sliced)
Red bell peppers – ½ cup (finely chopped, grilled)
Tomato – 1 large (finely chopped)
Cucumber – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Chives – 1 tablespoon (finely chopped)
Black olive – 1 tablespoon (pitted & chopped or halved)
Pine puts – 3 tablespoon (toasted)
Thyme sprig – 1
Cilantro – 2 tablespoon (finely chopped)
Salt – ¾ teaspoon
Ground black pepper
Feta cheese – ¼ cup (crumbled) – optional
Sour cream – ½ cup
Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Butter – 2 tablespoons
Balsamic vinegar – 1 tablespoon
Water – 3 cups
- In a large saucepan boil water with salt, after reaching boiling point, reduce heat and slowly whisk in the corn meal, cook on low heat, keep stirring and cook on from time to time for 20-25 minutes, now add 1 tablespoon olive oil & 1 tablespoon butter, mix well and cook till polenta is well cooked.
- Now take 8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and transfer cooked polenta into it, press with plastic foil and refrigerate & chill for 2 hours to set properly and become firm. Press to check the required thickness.
- Grease a pan and grill red bell peppers with salt & ground black pepper. Keep aside.
- Heat balance butter and olive oil in a skillet on medium to high heat and add garlic, sauté for ½ minute and then add thinly sliced onions, Salt and thyme sprig. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes till onions become translucent and then lower the heat. Cook for another 20-30 till onions start browning, add balsamic vinegar and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Now discard the thyme sprig.
- Take out the chilled and well-set & firm polenta and cut into squares and then diagonally cut again or cut in small circular shape. Keep the circular or square size large or medium or small per choice. Spray them or grease the skillet with oil and grill the polenta squares or triangles.
- Now transfer to serving plate and top up with spoonful of onions, bell peppers and crumbled feta cheese.
- OR just mix together separately olive oil, cucumber, tomatoes & olives, chives, cilantro & red bell pepper and season with salt & black pepper and place a spoonful of this salsa on the polenta toasts and top with a dollop of sour cream.
Note: Delicious polenta toasts are ready, serve with your choice of meat or veggies or chicken or enjoy as a meal. You can top with any one of the options or mix both options and make your own topping combinations. Bon Apatite!
Picture courtesy: resourcescampshire.com,foodthinkers.com(nicepics)