Marillenknödel is a traditional Austrian pastry. The word “Marillen” means Apricot in Austrian language. This pastry is found mostly in the places where apricot orchards are seen like Wachau & Vinschgau.
These are apricot filled small flour dumpling which are boiled and then covered with breadcrumbs and powdered sugar. These are called “knodel” which are either served for main course or dessert. They are generally preceded with light soup if served as main course.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
30 mins 15 mins 45 mins 7-8 dumplings
Cottage cheese or curd cheese or topfen (quark) – 250 grams
All-purpose flour – 60 grams
Semolina – 60 grams
Apricots – 7-8 (ripe)
Lemon – ½ (finely ground peel)
Butter – 50 grams (room temperature)
Salt – 1 pinch
Sugar cubes – 7-8
Eggs – 1 (slightly beaten)
For bread crumbs:
Butter – 100 grams
Breadcrumbs – 120 grams
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Vanilla sugar – 1 tablespoon
Cinnamon powder – ½ teaspoon (optional)
Powder sugar – for dusting
- In a mixing bowl add ¼ of cottage cheese with butter, lemon peel & pinch of salt. Mix well till it becomes creamy.
- Add egg, all-purpose flour and semolina & balance cottage cheese and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Make a slit in the apricots just big enough to take the pit out, don’t cut them into halves. Now stuff each apricot with a sugar cube.
- Now roll the dough into a thick log, cut into equal sizes and then flatten each roll. Now stuff one pitted apricot in each flattened dough ball and roll the dough again to cover the apricot well. Roll the ball with apricot with your palms to make a nice smooth & round shape.
- Heat water in a wide pot, bring it to a boil & add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the knodels and lower the heat, let them simmer for 7 minutes.
- In the mean time heat butter in a pan and when it melts add white & vanilla sugar along with breadcrumbs. Add cinnamon and stir till breadcrumbs become golden brown.
- When knodel are well cooked, take out with slotted spoon or ladle and drain excess water, now transfer to the pan with breadcrumbs and toss to coat them well and cover them evenly.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Note: Delicious apricot dumplings or knodels are ready, enjoy with family & friends. Guten Appetit!
Recipe source: gourmetfood.org (greatrecipe)
Picture courtesy: kuenchengoetter.de, austria.info, kochbar.de(greatpics)