Welsh cake or the bakestones is a traditional food from Wales & have been popular almost since past many centuries. They are best served hot but can be had cold too. They are griddle baked flat bread. They are incredible easy to make and extremely delicious.
These cakes are made with flour, butter, sultana/raisins or currents, eggs and milk. Utterly delicious, try out!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
15 mins 15 mins 30 mins 8 Servings
Self-rising flour – 225 grams (or plain flour 225 grams + 1 teaspoon baking powder)
Egg – 1 (beaten well with 3 tablespoon of milk)
Butter – 100 grams + for cooking
Castor sugar – 50 grams + for sprinkling
Salt – 1 pinch
Currants – 50 grams (sultanas or raisins can be used too in place of currents)
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour & salt, mix and add butter, now mix well again. Add sugar & currents or raisins and mix well.
- Now beat the eggs in milk add and add this to the dough & mix well together till the dough is nice & stiff.
- Roll out the dough on the rolling board and with the help of rolling-pin flatten evenly to get a ¼ inch thickness. Now with a cookie or pastry cutter cut and stomp out.
- Heat a heavy griddle and grease it with butter. Now cook the cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side till they become golden brown and rise a little too.
- Serve hot and sprinkle with sugar.
Note Delicious Welsh cakes are ready, serve with a nice hot cup of tea or coffee. Enjoy!
Categories: Cakes & Patisserie