Navratan korma is one of the most well known North Indian, rich Mughlai dish. The word “Navratan” means nine jewels and korma means a smooth, even textured buttery sauce. This dish is basically vegetables cooked in a nice tomato based sauce or gravy.
To prepare this delicious dish dice the veggies and then cook them in a nice flavorful tempering of whole spices, onion & ginger-garlic, cooked with tomato puree, almond paste and milk & cream and garnished with fresh coriander.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 30 mins 50 mins 3-4 Servings
Carrot – medium 1 (diced, boiled)
Cauliflower – ¼ (cut into small florets – boiled in salt water)
Green capsicum – large 1 (diced)
French beans – ½ cup (cut into 2-inch pieces, boiled in salt water)
Green peas – ½ cup (boiled)
Sweet corn kernels – ½ cup (boiled)
Paneer (cottage cheese) – 250 grams (diced & lightly sautéed)
Potato – medium 1 (diced)
Onion – medium 2 (finely chopped)
Tomato – 2 (pureed)
Curry leaves – 8-10
Fresh green coriander – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Green chili – 2 (chopped)
Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
Ground black pepper – ½ teaspoon
Whole dried red chili – 2 (halved)
Milk – 1½ cup
Almonds – 8-10 (blanched)
Cashew nuts – 8-10 (dry roasted)
Raisins – 1 tablespoon
Saffron strands 5-6 (soaked in 1 tablespoon of warm milk)
Poppy seeds (khus-khus) – 2 tablespoons (soaked in water & drained)
Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 heaved tablespoons
Asafetida – 1 pinch
Bay leaf – 1
Shah jeera – 1 teaspoon
Black cardamom – 1
Green cardamom – 2-3
Cloves – 3-4
- Dice and chop the vegetables & paneer and make tomato puree. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the cashew nuts and grind almonds to a fine powder and wet this powder in a teaspoon of water.
- In a large pan or wok heat 1 tablespoon of ghee and add asafetida, whole dried red chili, curry leaves, shah jeera, bay leaf, cardamoms & cloves, let the spices crackle and splutter, add chopped onions and sauté on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Then add ginger-garlic paste and green chilies. Sauté till onions become translucent, now add the cumin powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add tomato puree, diced potato, carrots, beans, cauliflower, peas & corn kernels with salt & black pepper. Mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes, now add capsicum & paneer and fry for another minute, then add milk along with saffron strands.
- Let the veggies boil in milk for 2-3 minutes, then add the almond paste & poppy seeds & raisins and cook till gravy thickens, stirring continuously. Lastly add garam masala, cream and garnish with fresh green coriander & cashew nuts. Keep the gravy consistency as desired; if curry is too thick add some water. Mix well and serve hot.
Note: Serve Navratan Korma with tandoori roti, or chapatti or naan or jeera rice. Bon Apatite!
Picture courtesy: knorr.in, myheartbeats.com(nicepics)