Crème patisserie is basically pastry cream used in a lot of desserts, is used for filling in cream puffs, éclairs, fruit tarts or pie fillings. Sometimes it’s quite difficult to imagine that the delicious cream pastry we love so much is so easy to make at home.
Super easy to do at home, whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch and mix with hot milk to thicken into a cream, add vanilla extract & butter for a richer taste. Chill and use. Try this!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
05 mins 10 mins 15 mins 2 cups
Whole milk – 1 ½ cup
Sugar – ¼ cup (granulated)
Egg yolks – 3
Cornstarch – ¼ cup
Butter – 1 tablespoon
Vanilla extract – 2 tablespoons
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and add milk and heat milk over low heat, bring it to a point where steam starts just building.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg yolks with sugar and cornstarch. The whisking needs to be really hard to get a nice thick & creamy consistency. Now pour half quantity of the milk, which is beginning to steam in a single stream in the bowl with egg yolks and keep whisking continuously, vigorously & strongly.
- Now add this egg mixture into the balance milk in the pan and mix together well. Keep whisking continuously & vigorously on medium heat till a thick creamy texture is attained for the pastry cream, take care not to burn it.
- Now take off heat and add vanilla extract and butter, now to cool down this pastry cream, transfer to a bowl and keep that bowl in a larger bowl or vessel filled with ice for 30 minutes, then refrigerate it for 4 hours till completely chilled.
- To cool the pastry cream cover the bowl with plastic wrap, press the plastic wrap down to the surface of the cream so no air gets in, to avoid forming a skin at the top.
Note: Delicious pastry cream is ready and can be used per choice as a filling for any kind of pastry. This can be stored in refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Enjoy the flavor!
Picture courtesy: alibaba.com,alpineberry.blogspot.com(nicepics)
Categories: Cakes & Patisserie