This is a traditional Kongu dish generally seen around in Coimbatore or in the state of Tamil Nadu. This dish is a meal in itself as it’s made with dal & rice and is highly rich in proteins & carbs.
Here comes another very simple, easily doable delicious recipe from our guest chef Shanthi Satish. To make this dal rice sauté the onions, garlic & tomatoes with spices and then add dal & rice and pressure cook all together. Yummy!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
10 mins 20 mins 30 mins 4-5 Servings
Rice – 2 cups
Toor Dal – 1 cup
Split green gram dal – 2 tablespoons
Shallots small (baby or pearl onions) – 1 handful (chopped)
Garlic pod – 1 small (chopped)
Green chili – 3 (slit lengthwise)
Tomato – 1 large (chopped)
Curry leaves – 15-20 (chopped)
Dry red chilies – 3 (broken into small pieces)
Vegetable oil – 7 tablespoons
Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt per taste
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
Split urad dal – ½ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1½ teaspoons
Sāmbhar powder – 1 ½ teaspoon
Water – 7 cups
- Wash and soak rice for ½ hour and mix both dals, wash & soak for 15 minutes. Drain the water from rice and keep aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pressure pan or cooker and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds & split urad dal. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Now add shallots & garlic and fry till onions become translucent. Now add tomato and sauté for 2 minutes. After this add dry red chilies, green chilies & curry leaves and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder & Sāmbhar powder and mix well, sauté for 1 minute.
- Now add rice, salt & water. Once water comes to a boil, add coconut oil & mix well. Close the lid and cook for 5 whistles now. After that once the steam is out, open the cooker or pan and serve hot.
Note: serve the delicious dal-rice with vadams & pickles per choice and enjoy with family. Bon Apatite!
Recipe contributed by Shanthi Satish