If you are a keen baker, you would definitely like this recipe as this the one of the basic things to do for a vivid baker. Well, it shows how to make the puff pastry base. With the looks of light & airy buttered layers, puff pastry base if a very important thing in the pastry area.
The puff pastry base does take very long and serious time to do and with ample amount of rolling and folding it is generally not attempted at home, but again it is a matter of mastering the art of making the puff pastry base and then it seems all very easy and the options to make great pastry at home are ample and then not to miss the satisfaction of making something great is always there, so just go for it & try this great puff pastry base recipe from our guest chef Joelle Paku.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Cook Time Total Time Yields
3 days 3 days 3-4 tarts (depending on mould)
For Paste 1:
All-purpose flour – 150 grams
Butter – 375 grams
For Paste 2:
All-purpose flour – 350
Butter – 110 grams (cold, melted)
Water – 15 ml
White vinegar – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 15 grams
- Mix the butter & flour until it becomes a paste and spread it on a thickness of 2 cm. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight.
- Mix all the ingredients until it becomes a smooth paste and spread it with a thickness of 2 cm. cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight.
- The size of the paste 2 should be same like paste 1 like in thickness.
- Put the paste 2 into paste 1 and fold the edges of paste 1 completely so that paste 2 is completely covered from all sides by paste 1.
- Spread the paste 1 & 2 and fold like a wallet as shown in pictures.
- When it is done, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. After 2 hours take out of refrigerator and spread it again and once again fold like a wallet. Again refrigerate for 2 hours. After 2 hours repeat this operation and one more time refrigerate for another 2 hours.
- Make sure that all the folds should be on the same side.
- After the 3rd fold you can put the paste in the freezer if you don’t wish to use it immediately or fold it to make an apple puff tart or to make tomato-onion puff tart or any other tart you wish to make.
Note: The pastry puff base is ready to use for making any tarts that you wish to make.
Recipe contributed by Joelle Paku
Categories: Cakes & Patisserie