Salads are always considered healthy, they are thought as super food for dieters too. Another thing is that salads are a part of all cuisines across the globe. We have so many different types of salad combinations. Some of the veggies are commonly used for salads such as cucumbers, tomato, onion etc. but sometimes people do try doing salads with unusual combinations too.
This one here too is quite a rare salad combo; I came across this salad made with cauliflower, which really impressed me a lot. It surely looked yummy and delicious & looked quite healthy too. I liked this salad recipe from The Guardian by Chef Yotam Ottolenghi, one of my favorite chefs, as I really like & admire his recipes & creations. The spectacular thing about this salad is that it has both raw & baked cauliflower along with pomegranate & nuts, I am pretty sure if you try this salad recipe you will love it too!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
10 mins 30 mins 40 mins 4 Serving
Cauliflower – Large 1 (base removed & leaves trimmed)
Onion – medium 1 (peeled & thinly sliced)
Pomegranate – medium ½ (seeds)
Parsley or Cilantro – 25 grams (finely chopped)
Mint leaves – 10 grams (roughly chopped)
Tarragon leaves – 7 grams (finely chopped)
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Salt per taste
Cumin – ¾ teaspoon (ground)
Pistachio – 35 grams (toasted lightly & roughly chopped)
Almonds – 20 grams (sliced & toasted lightly)
Olive oil – 60 ml
Sunflower oil – 60 ml
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) gas mark 5.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pan and add sliced onions, fry till they turn golden in color and become crispy. Take off heat and set aside.
- Now coarsely grate 1/3 of the cauliflower (approx. 160 grams) and keep aside in a large bowl.
- Now cut small florets from the balance cauliflower (around 3 cm at the top).
- Now mix & toss the cauliflower florets with half of the olive oil & salt and transfer to the baking tray, roast for 20 minutes. Check that it should be cooked through and turn golden brown. Take out of oven and set aside to cool.
- Now mix the onions with their oil with grated cauliflower, also add the balance olive oil and season with salt. Now add the remaining ingredients – pomegranate seeds, toasted almonds & pistachios, parsley, mint, tarragon, lemon juice & cumin first, fold them all gently together and lastly add the roast cauliflower florets and serve immediately.
Note: Delicious & mouth-watering salad is ready. I tried this recipe only with olive oil instead of sunflower oil and it worked out quite fine too. Serve the salad at once after adding the roast cauliflower to avoid it from getting soggy and loose its crispness. Enjoy with family & friends, Bon Apatite!
Recipe Source & Picture courtesy: thegaurdian.com (chef Ottolenghi, pic – Johanna Parkin) nicepic
Categories: Soup & Salads