Christmas time is here and thinking of Santa, Red color just seems perfect! So it set me thinking to cook something which looks Red & tastes delicious at the same time. The obvious choice is something to do with Beetroots. So instead of cooking the traditional beet veggies, I went ahead with doing a beet pasta.
This pasta is easy to cook and incredibly delicious to eat. I came across few variations of this recipe, when I started cooking, I had my own variation then which every one loved so I wanted to share the same. To coo this awesome dish, you have to bake the beets & blend them to make a nice sauce and then add to cooked pasta, garnish & season and voila the dish is ready, so try this!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 20 mins 40 mins 4 Serving
Beets – 3-4 (washed, peeled & diced)
Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Garlic – 3-4 cloves (finely chopped)
Cilantro or Parsley – 2 tablespoons
Thyme fresh – 2-3 sprigs
Sugar – ½ teaspoon (optional)
Pasta – 250 grams (your choice of pasta- I used Penne)
Vegetable stock – 160 ml
Milk – ¼ cup
Cream – 2 tablespoons (optional)
Feta cheese crumbled – 2 tablespoons
Red wine vinegar – 1½ tablespoon
Walnuts – 2 tablespoons (lightly toasted)
Almonds flakes – 2 tablespoons (lightly toasted)
Salad greens per choice to garnish
Extra virgin Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Butter – 2 tablespoons
Salt per choice
Ground black pepper
Oregano ground – 1 pinch
- Put the diced beets on a baking tray and add thyme sprigs along with chopped garlic. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt. Bake for 30- minutes till they are soft & tender. If required bake further for 5-10 minutes and check again.
- Take out of oven and then add these baked beets with red wine vinegar & balance olive oil and salt into a food processor or a blender and blend to make a paste. Discard the thyme sprigs while putting the beets into the blender. Incase the paste is too thick, add some water.
- Boil the pasta till al-Dante, drain and keep aside. Keep some boiled pasta water.
- In a large pan or skillet heat butter, then add chopped onions and sauté till they become slightly golden brown. Now add the blended beet sauce into the pan and add milk, vegetable stock & sugar & cilantro. Bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer and adjust the consistency of the sauce. Add oregano now and adjust the seasoning per taste.
- Now add the cooked pasta to the beet sauce and mix well. Now transfer to a serving plate and Garnish with toasted walnuts, almond flakes, salad greens & feta cheese.
Note: Delicious Ruby coloured pasta is ready to serve. You can use grated parmesan cheese on top instead of feta cheese. You can add fresh cream if you like it more creamy. Bon Apatite!