Waffles are made with flour batter or dough in a waffle maker/iron and generally served with a dollop of whipped cream & strawberries etc. waffles are well known through out the world but Belgian waffles are most well known ones. Waffles can be found in different shapes & sizes. In Belgium they can be found every where, right from a street vendor to a big patisserie. Gaufres de Liege are different from normal waffles that we normally see around. They have loads of butter, yeasted batter and large crystal sugar called pearl sugar, which caramelize at the surface when the waffles are getting cooked in the iron, giving it an incredible mouth watering look & taste.
Waffles make a great breakfast by can be enjoyed any time of the day. To cook them you need to make a dough with bread flour, sugar, eggs, milk & yeast and then flavor with cinnamon. After mixing they have to be cooked in a waffle iron. Yummy waffles can be enjoyed right in the comfort of your home, so try this!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 35 mins 55 mins 12 waffle Serving
Bread flour – 1 ½ cups
Sugar – ½ teaspoon
Pearl sugar – ¾ cup
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Cinnamon – ½ teaspoon
Vanilla extract – 2 teaspoon
Egg – 1
Egg yolk – 1
Yeast – 2 teaspoon (instant)
Butter – ½ cup (unsalted, slightly cooler than room temperature)
Milk – 6 tablespoons (with temperature around 40°C)
- In a bowl add milk & sugar mix and add yeast, mix again & cover and keep aside for 5 minutes. The milk should not be too hot or else it will kill the yeast. After 5 minutes the yeast should have bubbled up and turned spongy & light brown.
- Now in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer add the bread flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon & salt, mix well and add the yeast mixture and the egg and egg yolk. Mix on medium speed till dough is fully combined and become stiff & yellow. Now cover the mixing bowl and let the dough sit for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
- After that start adding butter to the mixer bit by bit, add half the butter piece by piece till the dough is like a thick paste. Keep on mixing till the dough become a smooth & elastic paste.
- Now kneading quickly to avoid the dough becoming too soft, gently add the sugar crystals, so that they become evenly distributed in the dough. Now divide the dough into 12 equal parts and form into shape of balls.
- Now let the dough balls sit in a warm place for 15 minutes. After almost 12 minutes of wait, heat your waffle iron, it should be warm, not very hot.
- Spray the griddle with oil and place each ball into one waffle section. The waffles will start cooking and puff up. Cook till the surface is golden or dark brown in color.
- Now take out the cooked waffles from the iron and place on a cooking rack to get a crispy surface.
Note: while cooking use a deep waffle iron so the waffles get well cooked from inside too. If you are using a hand iron then keep turning and flipping the waffles every 30-40 seconds and keep a check on them turning brown.
Waffles can be dusted with sugar powder or just topped with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or strawberries or topped with your choice of syrups before serving. Bon Apatite!
Picture courtesy: coupletsugars.com(nicepic)