Some of the Indian sweets are always a hit with people, one of them is Ras Malai which can be called a all time great. It is mostly a part of menu for parties & weddings. A milk product, its incredible delicious. This dessert comes from the state of Bengal but is very famous every where in India and some neighbouring countries as well.
Chef Hari Ghotra has a very easy recipe to show us how to make this delicious dessert at home. Try to enjoy with family & friends at home.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Cook Time Total Time Yields
2 hours 30 mins 2 hours 30 mins 4 Serving
For Cream cheese –
Whole milk – 1 Lts.
Lemon juice – 2 tablespoon
For the Fragranced milk –
Whole milk – 500ml
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Rose water – 1 tablespoon
Green cardamom – 2
Saffron – 1 pinch
Pistachios – 3 tablespoons (for topping)
For sugar syrup –
Sugar – 200 grams
Water – 750ml
For Cream cheese –
- To make the cream cheese, place milk in a large pan and just bring to the boil, stir so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice, stir through and the milk will separate.
- Strain into a sieve lined with a muslin sheet and bring the corners of the muslin together to squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Place a dinner plate on top and weigh it down and leave for at least 2 hours but overnight is best.
- Remove the cream cheese and kneed it until soft and smooth. Once it starts to feel oily make 6 small balls and set to one side.
For Fragranced Milk –
- Heat the milk and bring it to a gentle simmer for about a half an hour until it has reduced down to half. Make sure you stir it so it doesn’t scorch at the bottom.
- Add all the sugar, rose water, cardamom and stir then leave to cool.
For Sugar Syrup –
- Place the water and the sugar into a pan and bring to the boil until the sugar has melted.
- Remove from the heat and place the balls in the sugar syrup and leave to steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the delicate balls onto some kitchen paper to drain and discard the syrup.
- Once the fragranced milk has cooled add the cheese balls and refrigerate.
- To serve remove from the refrigerator and serve with a little of the fragranced milk, top with the crushed pistachios and sprinkle with saffron strands.
Note: Delicious dessert is ready to serve, Chef Hari advises that its Lovely when topped with crushed pistachios or almonds for added texture. Try this and enjoy. Bon Apatite!