Tamarind rice is very popular South Indian rice dish. As the name suggests Tamarind rice is made with tamarind and is slightly sour but is also incredibly delicious due to the tangy & spicy taste. This tangy rice dish is a traditional dish from South India. Celebrity Chef Hari Ghotra brings a great recipe.
So try this authentic Tamil Nadu dish and enjoy with family & friends and surely it will be an instant hit with every one.
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Cook Time Total Time Yields
30 mins 30 mins 4 Serving
Basmati rice – 200 grams (cooked)
Tamarind – 25 grams boiled in water or 1 tablespoon of tamarind taste mixed with 4 tablespoons water
Coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Urad dal – ½ tablespoon
Chana dal – 1 tablespoon
Fenugreek seeds – ½ teaspoon
Dried red chili – 2
Curry leaves – 5
Onion – 1 chopped or ½ teaspoon asafetida
Peanuts – 1 tablespoon
Turmeric – ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander – handful
- Have your cooked rice ready and make up your tamarind water and set to one side.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds as they begin to pop stir in the urid and chana dhal. The dhal will begin to toast.
- When they change color add the fenugreek seeds and dried red chilies then stir in the curry leaves.
- Add the onions (if using) and cook them until they are a lovely golden brown color.
- Add the peanuts to toast for a few minutes and sprinkle in the turmeric.
- Pour in the tamarind. If using tamarind water leave it to cook until it has thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Add salt to taste and stir in the cooked rice to coat and heat through.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle in some fresh coriander to serve.
Note: Delicious tangy-spicy tamarind rice is ready, serve hot and enjoy. Bon Apatite!
Recipe & Picture courtesy: Chef Hari Ghotra