There are many chicken recipes in India. This one is a rich, full of flavours, aromatic, cooked in white curry made with poppy seeds, cashew nuts & yoghurt. Truly delicious and a delight for every one who likes chicken dishes. Celebrity Chef Hari Ghotra has come up with a fabulous recipe.
Its easy to make at home following the recipe. So try this and enjoy it with family and friends or let it be the star dish for the party menu.
Cook Time Total Time Yields
45 mins 45 mins 4 Serving
Ginger fresh – 7 cm piece
Garlic cloves – 5
White pepper – 1 teaspoon
Yoghurt – 2 tablespoons
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Chicken – 8 pieces (with bones, skin removed)
Cashew nuts – 1 tablespoons
Poppy seeds – 2 teaspoons
Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Cardamoms – 4
Cassia bark – 7 cms
Black peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon (crushed)
Onions – 3
Bay leaves – 3
Cloves – 4
Green chilies – 3 (finely chopped, reduce the number to make it less spicy)
Yoghurt – 3-4 tablespoons
Sugar – 2 teaspoons (optional)
Kewra (screw pine water) – ½ tablespoon
Pinch of saffron
A little milk
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Onion – ½ (sliced into rings
Sprinkle of salt
- Crush the ginger and garlic in a pestle and mortar to make a paste and keep to one side.
- Marinate the chicken with a little salt, white pepper, half the crushed ginger and garlic paste and 2 tbsp of yoghurt. Mix well and leave to rest for one hour.
- Blend the cashew nuts in a blender until they are very fine then add the poppy seeds and blitz again. And enough water to make this into a thick paste. Set to one side.
- Roughly chop the onion and blend to make an onion paste
- Heat ghee in a pan then add whole black peppercorns, cardamom, cloves, cassia bark, bay leaves and crushed coriander seeds.
- Once the spices become fragrant (30 seconds) add the onion paste and the remaining garlic and ginger paste and sauté until the onion just starts to brown (approx 10 mins).
- Add the green chillies and the cashew and poppy seeds paste. Stir
- One tbsp at a time, add the yoghurt, waiting until it has melted into the sauce before adding the next spoonful.
- Stir in the marinated chicken with all the marinade and coat with the sauce.
- Cook the chicken on a gentle heat for 30-40 minutes with the lid on the pan.
- Soak the saffron in a little milk.
- Once the sauce has all come together and the chicken is cooked through add the sugar, kewra water and the saffron milk and stir it through. If the sauce is still very thick then add some hot water to loosen it a little.
- Continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes until the meat is soft and tender and the sauce is thick and creamy.
- In a separate pan heat the oil and add whole red chillies, onion rings and a sprinkle of salt. Cook until the onions are just browned.
- Pour this over the chicken as a garnish with a little chopped fresh coriander.
Note: Delicious chicken rezala is ready to serve, Crush the ginger and garlic in a pestle and mortar to make a paste and keep to one side. Bon Apatite!
Recipe & picture courtesy: Chef Hari Ghotra