Indian pickles are known world wide and are very different from the pickles normally used elsewhere. Indian pickles are more spicy with oil. It goes very well with al meals. There is a wide variety of Indian pickles called Aachars. Out of them carrot & chilli pickle is a very ell known Punjabi pickle.
We have a fabulous recipe by Celebrity Chef Hari Ghotra, suitable for all taste buds and goes extremely well with all types of meals or even simply with breads. So try this!
Step-by-Step Easy & Quick Recipe –
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time Yields
20 mins 25 mins 45 mins 4
Carrots – 5 (medium)
Green chilies – 5
Salt – 1 ½ teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 ½ teaspoon (coarsely ground)
Chili powder – 1 teaspoon or (adjust to taste)
Asafetida – ¼ teaspoon
Lemon – ½ lemon (juice)
Mustard oil or vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- Peel the carrots and cut in half then into thin batons or slices.
- Place the sliced carrots on some kitchen roll and cover with more kitchen roll for a few hours to remove any excess water (you may need to replace the kitchen roll).
- Wash and dry the green chilies and slice them open.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together and mix in the dried carrots and chilies.
- Place the pickle into a clean, dry glass jar and put the lid on.
- Set the jar in the sun for a day and it will be ready to eat the next day. Keep refrigerated and it will keep for about two weeks (do not introduce any water to the jar).
Note: you can enjoy this delicious home made carrot & chilli pickle along with your food. Bon Apatite!
Recipe & picture courtesy: Celebrity Chef Hari Ghotra